Private and fully personalised home care in London

Phone Number: 02035 194 718

Email Us: [email protected]

The fees you can expect to pay for your or your loved one's home care is entirely dependent on the care needs of the client and the funds they have available. In this article, you will find some helpful information about paying for your care at home. It will also explain what sorts of financial aid you could be eligible for, depending on your local authority, as well as any benefits you may qualify for. 

Will the Local Council Pay for my Home Care?

Your local council will need to carry out a care needs assessment to discover whether you are eligible for assistance when paying for nursing care at home. Once this has been done, they will carry out a means test. Here they will look at your current financial status and any savings you have. Your property will not be considered unless you need to pay residential care fees. 

Determining how much you will or will not have to pay for care at home through a means test will vary depending on the amount of capital you have saved. If you have over £23,250 saved, you will have to arrange for self-funding your care without help from your local council. If you have between £14,250 - £23,250, then the council will pay some of your fees. If you have below £14,250, this will not be counted, and the council will pay for the entirety of your personal care at home, but they will still take any regular income into account.

The council will not consider the money you gain from disability benefits or any pensions you have once means-tested. Therefore, if your local council take any eligible income into account when conducting the means test, you must be left with at least £189.00 a week as income. This applies if you are single and of pension eligibility age. 

How Much Does Live-in Care Cost?

Live-in care is a more comprehensive form of home care and will be more expensive than other services. On average, you can expect the cost of care for live-in services to be between £900 - £1,400 per week. This will increase up to £2,000 weekly if you need 24-hour support.

It can be helpful to think about what specific home care services you require when budgeting so you can avoid paying more than you need to. Other things to consider include:

 How often you will require the help of a carer. 

 How long you will need these home care services. 

 Which hourly rates you can pay.

Once a care agency has provided you with a quote, make sure that you can afford the quoted rates. As previously mentioned, depending on your financial status and the location in which you live, your local council may provide payment for some or all of the cost of your care. In addition, if you or your loved one has particularly complex care needs, they may be eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare cover to pay for their personal care at home.  

How Much Does Home Care Cost?

The costs and fees of home care are the first things that you should consider when arranging any services. The cost of these health and social care services varies from location to location, but on average, you can expect to part with between £20 - £30 per hour for care at home. Of course, these prices will often be higher during holidays or on weekends. 

Receiving Financial Support for Home Care in the UK

If you are found eligible for council assisted home care during the means test, your local council will then arrange your home care services for you. When they contribute some or all of the care costs, this is called "state-funded" home care. If your local council do not find you eligible for financial assistance, they must provide you with information about where and how you can find help in the local area.

If you initially started paying for your or your loved one's home care yourself, but you are slowly running out of funds to pay the costs, you should contact your local council for assistance. When you are closing in on the £23,250 savings that qualify for financial support, you should ask your local authority to conduct a means test or financial assessment so that you can continue to cover the costs of your home care.

What Benefits Can I Claim When I Need Home Care?

There are two primary forms of benefits that you can claim when you or your loved one requires personal care at home. These two forms are Attendance Allowance and Carer's Allowance, and both have different qualifying criteria. 

Attendance Allowance

Someone may only qualify for Attendance Allowance once they have reached the State Pension Age. This is over 65 in the UK, depending on the day that you were born. Other criteria include:

Having a mental or physical disability, which includes learning disabilities. Requiring the services of a carer. Requiring care for a minimum of 6 months, unless terminally ill.  

If you live in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, you are entitled to this form of benefit, which has two payment rates depending on the support you or your loved one needs. Healthcare professionals may be required to assess your needs when applying for Attendance Allowance. 

If you or your loved one requires care and support through the day or night, you can expect to receive up to £60 per week towards your costs from this benefit. Conversely, if you or your loved one requires constant, around-the-clock care, you can expect to receive up to £89 per week to help pay for your care. 

Those with terminal illnesses and life expectancies of 6 months or less are automatically entitled to this benefit and may qualify for higher payment rates. Other financial help you may be eligible for when receiving Attendance Allowance include:

 Pension Credit 

 Council Tax Reduction 

 Housing Benefit

Carer's Allowance

You are eligible for Carer's Allowance if you care for someone for a minimum of 35 hours per week. This benefit can pay you up to £67.60 per week or as a lump sum every four weeks. If you qualify for this but are under the State Pension Age, you will also receive National Insurance credits every week.

Other criteria include:

 The person being cared for also received care benefits. 

 The person receiving Carer's Allowance is at least 16 years old. 

 They have resided in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland for at least two of the previous three years. 

 They typically live in the UK, live overseas with the armed forces, or move to EEA countries or Switzerland. 

 They do not earn more than £128 per week after tax, expenses and National Insurance. 

 They are not in full-time education. 

 They are not subject to immigration controls.

A person does not need to be related to or live with the person they are caring for to be eligible for Carer's Allowance, but they must already receive at least one of the following benefit payments: 

 Disability Living Allowance 

 Attendance Allowance 

 Constant Attendance Allowance 

 Personal Independence Payment 

 Armed Forces Independence Payment

A means test is unnecessary to receive Carer's Allowance, but there is a maximum cap on how much you may earn from work. Their funds are taxable if their income is above the relevant tax threshold.

How to find the right care for your relative

01. Initial

During your initial consultation with us a specialist care consultant will find out all your needs and requirements for your loved one.

02. Carer

We recruit local carers specifically for the role, ensuring that they have the desired experience and skills for your needs.

03. Candidate

Having the choice to conduct your own interviews ensures our candidates will be the perfect match for you.

04.Employment Confirmation

After finding the candidate you love the most, the employment between yourself and the carer/housekeeper will be confirmed.

About Us

Companions Home Care work with you to ensure that you get the best quality of life. Our private home carers provide high quality care visits at home for your loved ones throughout London.

We provide families with in-home care, part-time care, live-in care, respite care, housekeeper carer cooks, bilingual carers, and post-discharge care. Get in touch to see how we can help.

  • Barking and Dagenham
  • Barnet
  • Bexley
  • Brent
  • Bromley
  • Camden
  • Croydon
  • Ealing
  • Enfield
  • Greenwich
  • Hackney
  • Haringey
  • Harrow
  • Haverin
  • Hillingdon
  • Hammersmith and Fulham
  • Hounslow
  • Islington
  • Kensington and Chelsea
  • Kingston upon Thames
  • Lambeth
  • Lewisham
  • Merton
  • Newham
  • Redbridge
  • Richmond Upon Thames
  • Southwark
  • Sutton
  • Tower Hamlets
  • Waltham Forest
  • Wandsworth
  • Westminister

Contact Us

Quick Links